![]() |
| Strange Occurence On One Strange Night |
Years after, the house of Hadja Saniya
was graying and the paint on the walls subsided that there was an apparent
darkness everywhere. When night comes, the darkness is more pronounced as
silence complements the general dimness. The smell of old wood always lay heavy
upon my nose that every smell of wood reminds me of the house. Dirt stuck to
the decades old walls invites me always to stare at them and I reckoned then
that the dark stains on them formed the shapes of men and other unlikely
beings. The house was alive I thought then and it breathes into our lives every
moment we happened to be there. In the night, these shadows become sharper that
I thought I saw the shade of an old woman always while the lights are out and I
lay there trying to find sleep, turning in my bed while cuddled inside heavy
fabric, sweating profusely from fear of shadows.
I would sweat so heavily from warmth as I resisted the terrifying shadows of an old woman sitting just at the foot of my bed. There were times that the fear ate so much into me that I screamed and cried in the middle of the night. My father thought I was just missing my grandfather that at midnight, they would deliver me to my Uncle Mameng's house nearly ten kilometers away.
I would sweat so heavily from warmth as I resisted the terrifying shadows of an old woman sitting just at the foot of my bed. There were times that the fear ate so much into me that I screamed and cried in the middle of the night. My father thought I was just missing my grandfather that at midnight, they would deliver me to my Uncle Mameng's house nearly ten kilometers away.
Of course, I would have to be back with
my mother when school finally opened. The shadows finally came at lesser
frequency and besides sleeping together with my brothers kept me somewhat reassured.
If that old woman would strangle me, at least I would not be the only one to be
strangled.
I could not tell if those shadows were really
ghosts or spirits but I felt so sure that they breathe a life and they were
unmistakably the shape of human beings.
My real sighting of a ghost came years later when I was just about ten or eleven years old. I could remember some particulars as I relate this to you now. It was near midnight, on one weekend, when most of the members of our household stayed wide awake to watch a television special; it was a late night movie if I am not mistaken.
Usually when the night comes, I had felt dutiful always to check the back door if they were safely locked and shut tightly. That night, before I sat to watch the show, I reconnoitered the kitchen and locked the door after reassuring that every chore in the kitchen has been done. As the show started, I felt a strong urge to relieve myself that I headed for the comfort room, situated just to the left of the kitchen. As I turned towards the direction of the kitchen, I saw a figure of a woman in white gown, with her hair down to her knees, walked pass the hall leading to the kitchen.
My real sighting of a ghost came years later when I was just about ten or eleven years old. I could remember some particulars as I relate this to you now. It was near midnight, on one weekend, when most of the members of our household stayed wide awake to watch a television special; it was a late night movie if I am not mistaken.
Usually when the night comes, I had felt dutiful always to check the back door if they were safely locked and shut tightly. That night, before I sat to watch the show, I reconnoitered the kitchen and locked the door after reassuring that every chore in the kitchen has been done. As the show started, I felt a strong urge to relieve myself that I headed for the comfort room, situated just to the left of the kitchen. As I turned towards the direction of the kitchen, I saw a figure of a woman in white gown, with her hair down to her knees, walked pass the hall leading to the kitchen.
“Is
someone still in the kitchen?" I asked.
"Everyone is here. Why?" my Aunt Coney responded.
"I just saw a woman in white walked by in the kitchen hall!" I exclaimed.
"Do not kid us like that." She warned.
"Really, I did saw a woman"
We all stared at each other and after a moment, we all scurried for the main bedroom. Everyone was blaming me for playing some wicked game on them and I kept on denying them.
"It must be your imagination." they all indicted me.
"Everyone is here. Why?" my Aunt Coney responded.
"I just saw a woman in white walked by in the kitchen hall!" I exclaimed.
"Do not kid us like that." She warned.
"Really, I did saw a woman"
We all stared at each other and after a moment, we all scurried for the main bedroom. Everyone was blaming me for playing some wicked game on them and I kept on denying them.
"It must be your imagination." they all indicted me.
Half an hour later, we were back in front of the television while I was feeling so sick already from fear. I had no choice but to join them in the living room otherwise I would be alone in the room.
While the television was glaring, a sudden wind
blew forcefully from the window and rain poured instantaneously as rumbling
thunder shook the house. It was just another bad weather, as we disregarded the
weather's tumult and stay stuck to the television show. Perhaps the wind was so
whipping that small bits of stones were thrown at our direction, entering thru
the window.
"Damn it. Someone is throwing stones at
us," Coney said and we all peered into the window to investigate the
malefactor and we find exactly nobody outside as more bits of stone came at us.
The sound of thunder became extremely forceful that the lights went out. By
this time, I could already feel the fear that had enveloped not only me, but
also the rest of them; fear has a smell I realized that moment. In the middle
of the living room, a small whirlwind was lifting the small stones towards the
ceiling in a circular motion and while the stones circled above ground, the
wind suddenly stopped and the bits of stone fell simultaneously to the ground.
We all screamed and run to the bedroom.
It was strange that the day after, no matter how
patently strange the experience we had the night before, everyone was merely
jesting about it while Hadja Saniya simply dismissed it as the playful
imagination of our minds, us who were still tender in the head. She was deep in
slumber when the strange happenstance occurred. Even those who were present in
that strange occurrence simply forgot about it, never mentioning it again. My
Aunt Coney just did not talk about it. My brothers Nasrullah and Akmad and my
sister Rimaisa just went to the yards and play the usual games, as if nothing
happened. If I remember well, my cousin Nimfa and Mernisa was present then and
similarly, they never took it so seriously despite the common terror we had felt
that night. In contrast, that unusual night were etched forever in my mind.
The eldest who was there was Aunt Coney. I had
expected her to convince the others that some spirits really played fun on us
but she acted as if the strange night was merely a usual occurrence, and did go
on with the ordinary chores, as if nothing happened, as if she was expecting
such things to happen ordinarily. After that night in fact, she had slowly
gained isolation from the rest of us, at least it was how I have observed her
to be. She would walk along and would give me that iniquitous stare that I felt
somehow uncomfortable that she had suddenly become so mindful of my presence that
she would shout at me easily if for example I happened to touch the expensive
jar in the living room.
I reckoned that she had blamed me for that strange
occurrence in that one strange night.

No comments:
Post a Comment